Mothering on the Edge

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Perfect Soda

So, here's the thing about me and soda. I drinks soda the way most people drink alcohol. Maybe a cold one on a hot day, or a glass at a party. Romantic evening with the hubby, I might even put away two. I've been known to nurse a can of 7up for 5 hours. I just am not that into soda pop.

(Note on the picture to the left. Not me. Just in case you were wondering. A "bollywood" celebrity endorsing 7up. I also endorse 7up. I look not nearly as shapely when endorsing, however.)

But I am on a quest. What...is your quest? To find a soda that makes me happy. I've noticed in my quest for happiness, that several other members of my demographic (young, LDS mothers of small children prone to bouts of depression and ennui) self-medicate with Diet Pepsi to stay energized and happy. The combination of sugar and caffeine is mildly addictive, but legal and socially accepted. So, I thought I would try the Diet Pepsi cure and see how it went.

I failed to account for one small issue. I HATE DIET PEPSI! Uugh! I cannot stand it. The sweetness, the bitterness, the nagging feeling of WHAT THE HECK AM I DRINKING!? It's brown and has "natural caramel flavoring". WTH is that? And it's brown. I don't like drinking brown stuff unless it is clearly chocolate.

Thus began the highly-not-so-scientific search for the perfect soda.

Requirements:
  • Caffeine
  • Diet version (I have this fear of gaining lots of weight or ruining my teeth permanently, which apparently does not outweigh my fear of getting cancer from aspartame.)
  • Reasonably available (My actual all-time favorite soda is Canada Dry Cranberry Ginger Ale (caffeine free), which is nearly impossible to find except in December. Blond Hunk loves Mountain Dew Code Red, which is simply subject to shortages from time to time.)
  • Taste!
All cola-type drinks (Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Royal Crown, etc.) are eliminated. So are their derivatives: Vanilla, Cherry, Black Cherry, Cherry-Vanilla, Lime, Blackberry, etc. Nothing covers the cola taste enough for me.

Also eliminated: Mountain Dew. It's YELLOW, people. YELLOW AND FIZZY! Looks like you're drinking urine. On the same basis, Mellow Yellow is gone. No root beers.

Finally, a late entry pulled ahead: Sunkist Orange Soda! Did you know this had caffeine? Neither did I! But it does. I think I've found my perfect soda. I'll keep you posted on the efficacy as a short term antidepressant. Cheers!

Posted by Sarah Jean :: 1:08 PM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------