Mothering on the Edge

Friday, December 29, 2006

Evil Stepmother Support Group

Have you seen this?
What's Wrong with Cinderella?

If you're reading this blog, chances are 50/50 that my princess rant is what drew you here. Peggy Orenstein is a smart gal, although I don't agree with her on every point. But the feeling, the sense of what the heck is happening here is very familiar. I dislike the brat fad. I'm never going to be ok with my children advertising their worst fears about themselves (or mine) on their T-shirts. The feminism argument isn't as tough for me, I guess because my little girls were born already so self-possessed I've never worried about them basing their worth on a man or caving to a man's wishes. I sort of wish they would bend to mine, honestly. A little bit of Snow White would be a nice change, to me.

What do you think about princesses? Can they be good? Is it just merciless marketing to our tender children? Are they teaching our kids to be weak? To believe in something that isn't true? Tell me!

Posted by Sarah Jean :: 8:56 AM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------