Mothering on the Edge

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Compost

We're composting for the garden, so I tell Tori to put her peels and stuff in the compost pile, and we'll put it in the box.

and she says, and the box will make it turn into something?

and I'm thinking...hey, I can inspire some awe of the magic of gardening, here.

So I say, Ya! It will turn into DIRT!

Her little face fell. Dirt?

It turns food into dirt?

hey mom, we've GOT plenty of dirt. don't know if you noticed

I tried to explain that it was really good dirt, that would make flowers and our garden grow.

She pointed out that when you give kitchen scraps to chickens, they make eggs.

which is better than dirt.

actually, she said they 'poop out eggs'.

We are not getting chickens.

Labels: , ,


Posted by Sarah Jean :: 11:56 AM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------