Mothering on the Edge

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Bad Mommy Syndrome

Orson Scott Card, a writer and person I admire very much has posted about a topic I think about frequently: my own (and my peers') tendency to judge myself by some sort of arbitrary standard of "a good wife or mother." I see this in myself, and in other women. I'm curious why it's so pernicious in my LDS sisters. Why do we think we need to be a certain way to be good enough? Who is this superwoman we're trying to match? Is it coming from the media? Or from ourselves? How do we strive to be better without falling into the trap of berating ourselves each time we fall short in some area?

I want to know what you think.

Labels:


Posted by Sarah Jean :: 2:59 PM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------