Mothering on the Edge

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Covalent Bonds? Oh NO!!!

So last night I had a dream that I was at some sort of seminar for homeschool parents, and they handed out workbooks (big, thick ones) of all the stuff your first grader should learn this year. As I'm flipping through the workbook, I see "covalent bonds" and am suddenly filled with anxiety. I don't remember covalent bonds?!! And didn't I learn that in high school? How will I ever homeschool my six-year-old if I don't remember covalent bonds!?!

So, for my own sanity, here are a list of things my homeschooled child does NOT need to learn this year:
  1. Covalent bonds and organic chemistry
  2. Cellular membranes and mitosis
  3. Latin
  4. The economic and social factors that led to the fall of Rome
  5. How to play Schubert (on any instrument)
I feel much better now. And, as proof that I'm not letting my kids go to pot, here is a picture of my 3-year-old "reading the pictures." She explained to me (very patiently) that she is too little to read the words of a story, but she likes to read the pictures. If you can't see, she's reading Matilda by Roald Dahl. The irony is strong with this one.

And in other news, H (the first grader who will remain ignorant on the above topics for at least one more year) has announced her career plans to "preach the gospel in Hawaii" (if you're not familiar with LDS missions, you can look HERE) and then become a firefighter. We will be learning about the Pacific Rim and fire safety this month.

Posted by Sarah Jean :: 2:33 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------