Mothering on the Edge

Monday, September 11, 2006

5 years ago...

A two year old climbed into my lap awkwardly, over my belly, her sister, which was just starting to prevent me from carrying her around, and asked:
"Is this one of the things on TV that is real, or something that is pretend?"

And I cried and said, "It's real, sweetie. But we don't have to watch it anymore." And I changed the channel, grateful for the public TV station that opted to continue children's programs all day, the only respite from the looping footage of horror.

I called my mother and she said, "They want us to be frightened. That's why they're called terrorists. Don't be scared. Don't let them win. Do what you would normally do. And pray for those families."

So I did. And I still do.

Posted by Sarah Jean :: 8:13 AM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------