Mothering on the Edge

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Kitchen Day

So, Flylady says it's Kitchen week, and it's What's For Dinner Wednesday, and I've been double-tagged for this, so...better get to work!

1. How many meals does most of your family eat at home each week? How many are in your family?
We all eat breakfast at home. H and the man eat lunch at school and work, generally, and we usually eat dinner at home too. We go out to eat...once or twice a month, probably. There are 5 in our family.

2. How many cookbooks do you own?
8 actual cookbooks, including one on Thai cuisine I'm borrowing from my evil jungle princess sis, and 5 issues of Everyday Food.

3. How often do you refer to a cookbook each week?
HA! Almost never.

4. Do you collect recipes from other sources? If so, what are some of your favorite sources (relatives, friends, magazines, advertisements, packages, the internet, etc)
The internet, my mom and sisters, friends...etc.

5. How do you store those recipes?
I have a purple folder with page protectors in it (Cookbook #4), that worked really well when I had 10 recipes. Now there's a few dozen, and it's in vast need of organizing.

6. When you cook, do you follow the recipe pretty closely, or do you use recipes primarily to give you ideas?
Ideas. I have a really hard time following recipes. My (engineer) husband has recently convinced me to at least write down what I actually put in things, so that it can be reproduced later.

7. Is there a particular ethnic style or flavor that predominates in your cooking? If so, what is it?
Um, the dominant style is: things-I-like-to-eat. Doing most of the cooking means I get to choose what is cooked. That's really the only theme, I'm afraid.

8. What’s your favorite kitchen task related to meal planning and preparation?
Actually making it--mixing it up and tasting and mixing

9. What’s your least favorite part?
CLEAN UP! ACK!

10. Do you plan menus before you shop?
For freezer cooking I do. But mostly I just keep ingredients around for the stuff I usually make.

11. What are your three favorite kitchen tools or appliances?
My big glass bowls, my Pampered Chef Mix'n Scraper, and my silicone bakeware

12. If you could buy one new thing for your kitchen, money was no object, and space not an issue, what would you most like to have?
Wow...and with Mother's Day on the horizon and everything...I'm going to have to edit this in later. I'm stumped.

13. Since money and space probably are objects, what are you most likely to buy next?
Still stumped.

14. Do you have a separate freezer for storage?
Yes!!! When we got the costco membership and I started freezer cooking, the husband bought a front-open chest freezer in the basement. It's great. I love it with all it's frosty goodness.

15. Grocery shop alone or with others?
Usually with my entourage, but occasionally alone. I like going alone. I read nutritional labels for fun instead of settling arguments about boy pullups and girl pullups.

16. How many meatless main dish meals do you fix in a week?
Mmm, good question. Most of our dinners (probably 5/7) have meat, but the other meals usually don't.

17. If you have a decorating theme in your kitchen, what is it? Favorite kitchen colors?
It was supposed to be grape vines, but I've never gotten around to it. It's got nice oak cabinets and green countertops. I like green.

18. What’s the first thing you ever learned to cook, and how old were you?
Wow...that's a good question. The first thing I remember cooking was No-Bake cookies. I probably cooked other things first, but they weren't as yummy. I was probably 7 or 8. I also have vivid memories of helping Mom with Poke Cake. I couldn't have been more than 3 or 4, but she let me poke the holes in the cake with the end of a wooden spoon and then she poured something hot and colorful into it (maybe jello?).

19. How did you learn to cook?
My mom. She taught me to cook and bake and even enrolled me in 4-H. I'm still learning, as my family can attest. They are the victims of my hapless experimentation.

20. Tag two other people to play
Krisco at Crib Ceiling and the Daring One at Daring Young Mom

Posted by Sarah Jean :: 7:31 AM :: 2 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------