Mothering on the Edge

Monday, March 13, 2006

On Anniversaries

So, today is my parents' anniversary. 30 years. Let's hear it for the edgy people that brought me into this world (on the first try, no less!). They're pretty great. I'm realizing how great as I get to the ages I first remember them being. I remember my dad being in college and working 2 jobs. I remember my mom giving up her paper route because she was pregnant with lil'sis. I remember my mom's 30th birthday when she got her ears pierced. I was 8 and quite jealous. Most importantly, I remember my parents working together, fighting and making up. It taught me that marriage isn't just about romantic love, but also loyalty and friendship and just plain old determination. Both of my parents' parents divorced, and I know it wasn't easy for them to build a family, but they did. Pretty darn good one, if I can say that without sounding conceited.

Things I Learned from My Parents' Marriage
  • Love does NOT mean never having to say you're sorry (sorry for the double negative) but it does mean never saying "I told you so."
  • You can get really angry at a person and still love them.
  • If you fight in front of your kids (or loud enough for them to hear) make up in front of them too. Little kids worry about divorce.
  • Laughter, creativity and fun aren't just for the kids.
  • If you both feel like you married up, you've got a good start.
  • You can make up for a lot of your faults just by loving unconditionally.
And as a bonus...a weekend Haileyism:

H: *singing* Why isn't anyone singing with me?
M: Your father and I are trying to have a conversation. Could you sing quieter?
H: NO! Why don't you conversate later? Like, when we're in bed? There's plenty of time when kids are asleep to talk about boring stuff.
M: We sleep too, you know.
H: *rolling eyes* Right.

Posted by Sarah Jean :: 8:11 AM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------