Mothering on the Edge

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

All the Crusty Noses...



Where do they all come from?
So, the kids all have colds or allergies or something. We're nearly out of tissues and I'm tired. Tired enough to doze off at stoplights.

We went to the grocery store today. My FAVORITE grocery store. It's called Macey's, and it's a very friendly place. We drive 20 minutes to shop there. That's how much I like it. If you ever have to wait more than 10 minutes in line, it's because all the registers are going (I've seen guys in ties running registers, that's how serious they are) and you can expect a bagboy to start running down the aisles at any moment, offering juice pops to everyone in the summer, glazed donuts in the winter, and a sincere apology for the wait. They really know how to keep customers happy.
We arrived, had to stop at the potty first. Banged my knee into the cart and narrowly avoided swearing in front of the children. I have a bruise the size of Nevada there now.

After use of the facilities and a brief discussion of the ethics of "peeking", we go to get orange (not red or, heaven forbid, purple) medicine (and a package of tampons and chapstick) and purchase them right away so we can administer the meds ASAP. We decline the customary smarties and help to the car, and instead sit on a bench outside the bathroom where I drug my children. I feel like the old lady in the shoe, except since this is a new (more humane and anti-spanking) millennium, I drug them all soundly and send them to bed.

Argument ensues about who gets to sit in the car of the "car-cart" (another fabulous feature at Macey's) as it is a 2 seater and there are 3 interested occupants. A timeshare arrangement is worked out, and we begin our shopping in earnest.

Receiving a free cookie at the bakery, getting bread, produce, flour (even oat bran! yay!) and raisins, doubling back for honey (shelved with the peanut butter, rather than the syrup, like I had guessed), we're doing fine. Kids are helpful, people are pleasant...Life is good. A regular shopping trip like this takes an hour to 90 minutes. I don't mind. I like grocery shopping.

(back) In the pharmacy, a small setback. Little E is getting underfoot, literally. I lean down to grab a bottle of lysine supplements (only $2.49 for 100! What a deal!) and when I lean back, I crush his little toe. He screams (in pain)~I scream (in shock and lost balance)~the girls scream (in sympathy, I think). We all scream. I say..."How about some ice cream?"

So off to frozen foods, where disaster strikes. We choose some lovely ice cream (mint chip and double strawberry) and all pain is swallowed up in the promise of frozen dairy treats. This peaceful moment brought to you by the good people at Dryers. Add tots of the tater variety and fries, curly seasoned. And frozen juice.

I grab 2 cans of frozen cranberry (100% juice cocktail) and as I come out of the freezer...yup, he's right there again. I start to crush his toe, then realize what it is, and try not to hurt him, lose my balance, grab for the cart, but push it away, and my trick knee goes out. I should explain that "trick knee" makes it sounds better than it is. Its only trick is collapsing like a cheap lawn chair when I try to spin on it. So I land on my derriere, with my crying son under one leg. My girls go spinning away in the cart, frantically trying to steer their way out of the spin with useless plastic steering wheels. Little E scrambles into my arms, crying and I'm near tears myself, sprawled on the floor. The plastic frozen cans of juice concentrate are on the floor. One has shattered, giving the whole scene a gory look.

A man in a red apron jogs up and offers help. And smarties. I believe the store policy is to offer smarties liberally to anyone who can't buy cigarettes. They don't sell cigarettes. Another thing I like about them. The kids were, of course, soothed by smarties, and I nursed my ego and rear end while someone got the rest of the juice I needed. "Was there something on the floor?" He asked (so conscientious, wanting to keep the store neat and safe!). "No. I tripped over my son." Sigh. Drug me soundly and send me to bed, too.

So I have another bruise. I considered posting a picture of it, but it's on my derriere and this isn't really *that* kind of blog.

We made it through the rest of the shopping trip, had a nice conversation with some construction workers in the soda aisle about the possibility of a world-wide Mountain Dew Code Red shortage. Got our smarties and a trip to the car. Stayed under budget, even. I'm going to bed now. No more shopping for 2 weeks.

Posted by Sarah Jean :: 5:16 PM :: 4 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------