Mothering on the Edge

Monday, January 08, 2007

Sheer genius

So, I didn't tell you about the tragic loss of Dora. Dora is our Ford Explorer. She was tragically hit by a reckless and probably intoxicated driver (not the only car he hit that night) the day after Thanksgiving. No one was aboard, but the big stick that makes the wheels go (Blond Hunk says it's called a drive suspension shaft or train or something) snapped in half. IN HALF! Poor Dora could not be fixed. Her frame was bent. Her axle was askew. Her gear box was all smashed up. That's the car equivalent of internal organ damage, there. She couldn't even roll straight onto the tow truck. Not even the blond hunk and his posse could put her back the way she was. This photo isn't our Dora, by the way. This is another Dora the Explorer. But that's pretty much what she looked like. Tender T shed a few tears when the man came to take her away. E was fascinated by a truck big enough to carry other trucks.

But, that means we got a new car. Well, newer. New to us. A Ford Windstar, white. I like it. It hasn't earned a name yet, but I think she will. She's calm and reliable (so far) and carries us well. The kids can even have balloons without smacking me in the face with them.

But, being of the last millenium, Windstar has only a single sliding door. And the way our cars park in the driveway, I must park on the side furthest from the front door. With the sliding door facing the snowy yard. Blech. Snow in the car. Shivering children waiting for me to unlock it. Trudging with groceries through the 6" snow drifts. I know, quite a pioneer frontierswoman I am, complaining about this. But there you go.

I have literally contemplated for...nearly an hour over the last few weeks as to how I might fix this. Can't move the husband's parking spot. His car goes in the garage (because it fits and mine doesn't, not because he's not a gentleman). The other side of the garage has an immovable project car. The sliding door cannot be moved to the other side without a costly switching car surgery. *sigh*

And then, today, I came home from our favorite grocery store (and dentist--yay for cavity free kids!) and suddenly...60 watts, right over my head. Of course! I'm a genius! I pulled back out of the driveway, into the street, and

...

are you ready for this?

....

backed in.

Yes. I pulled into the driveway facing out. Thereby reversing the position of the sliding door and saving me...like, a dozen steps in the snow carrying groceries. I know. There'll be a book signing later. Once I write the book.

I also have cut up fresh veggies for my children and located the allusive chocolate malt-o-meal cereal for my husband.

Mom is great. She likes chocolate cake.

Posted by Sarah Jean :: 5:03 PM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------