Mothering on the Edge

Friday, January 25, 2008

Kindergarten program

Little T was in her Kindergarten program about the earth, directions, continents and oceans.

She said her line with dignity and poise.

"This way is south."

I took lots of pictures, but most of them were blurry. Those kindergarteners, they like to MOVE.

Afterwards, another KM (Kindergarten Mom) who I had met once before stopped me. The conversation went like this:
Her: "Hi!"
Me: (oh, hm, I don't remember her name) "Hi."
Her: "Did you dye your hair?"
Me: (no, it started growing like this a couple months ago. I'm mystified.) "Yes, I did."
Her: "Wow. So, do you like it?"
Me: (what a weird question) "Yes, I do"
Her: "Oh, well that's good, then."
Me: (...) "..."

It wasn't until I walked away that I realized she hadn't said anything even remotely complimentary about the hair. It is kind of funny, isn't it, that if you bring up a change in someone's appearance, it's socially required to be positive about it. But why bring it up if you don't have anything nice to say?

And I don't understand what the point of that conversation was. Is she just incredibly awkward at small talk? Did she start talking to me purely to say she didn't like my hair? (I -do- like it, by the way) Was she hoping to hear a juicy story about WHO DID THIS TO ME? Was she hoping to establish herself as queen be of the morning KM set by squashing my self-esteem via comments about my hair? (I got news, if you want to hit my insecurities, the hair is not your best target). I don't know. Just mystifying.

Labels:


Posted by Sarah Jean :: 7:29 AM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------