Mothering on the Edge

Monday, October 03, 2005

Preparedness and skepticism

General Conference Weekend--for those of you who aren't LDS, that means a bunch of Mormons watch TV for 2 days straight. It's a real event. Just kidding. Actually, it's a conference of the church--generally, as in, all 10 million of us. So they televise it. I won't share any of my profound spiritual insights here. I'm ashamed to say I fell asleep during one of the afternoon sessions while my children re-enacted Lord of the Flies in the back yard. But my project this weekend was to renew our emergency kits, which I was fairly successful at. I'll post my notes after this entry. This was in the paper this morning:
http://sltrib.com/homeandfamily/ci_3082234
I had a good laugh, and added "duct tape" to my list of things to buy.

And speaking of faith, my six-year-old brought me some doubts this weekend.
"Mommy, I'm not sure Santa Claus is real."
Ah, I thought, first grade rumors. But no, as usual, I had underestimated my daughter. "What makes you think he might not be real?" (Mommy straight face on).
"Well, I've just been thinking about it. I mean, how could he have money to buy everyone in the world presents? And how does he get into people's houses?"
"Hmm, that's a good point."
"And what about the Easter Bunny! I mean, that doesn't make ANY sense! How could a bunny carry eggs and baskets around? Bunnies can't find people's houses! They can't even drive! And I have never ever heard any hopping around Easter time."
At this point, my sister chimed in, "Well if they aren't real, then who's doing all this stuff?"
Six-year-old furrowed brow. Wish for camera. "I'm not sure. Maybe someone rich. But how would they get in the house?"
I'm stifling laughter as she continues. "Maybe it's an inside job." My sister gets serious, wide eyes and asks her niece, "Are you doing it?"
Six-year-old eye rolling. "Of course not."

Posted by Sarah Jean :: 8:10 AM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------